Real food is medicine - this mushroom broth recipe can help support your dogs and cats health. This mushroom broth can be given daily or as needed to provide healing support.
Mushroom Broth Recipe Ingredients for Dogs and Cats
You Will Need:
- 2 tbs unsalted butter – organic or from grass fed, pasture raised animals.
- You can choose to substitute the butter with one of the following:
- 2 cups chopped medicinal mushrooms (organic or wild crafted)...
- Fresh medicinal mushrooms, or;
- Dry medicinal mushrooms.
- Select medicinal mushroom type from the list I provide further below.
- 4 cups filtered or spring water.
- Optional Ingredients:
- Wash mushrooms.
- Place butter in a pot.
- Place pot on low heat, allow the butter to melt.
- Add the mushrooms to the pot, sauté.
- Add 2 cups of filtered or spring water to the pot.
- If using optional ingredients, add the ginger and/or juniper berries.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool.
- Strain the mushrooms from the liquid.
- Option One –
- Pour the cooled mushroom broth into glass bottles.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Option Two –
- Pour the liquid into ice cube trays, freeze.
Mushroom Broth Serving Suggestions for Dogs and Cats
- Give with meals.
- Offer in-between meals as a treat.
- Use the broth ice cubes as a treat.
- Use the broth to make smoothies.
Mushroom Broth Serving Size – General Guideline for Dogs and Cats
- Small dogs and Cats – 1 tbs to 1/8 cup 1x, to 2x per day
- Medium Size Dogs – 1/4 to 1/3 cup 1x to 2x per day
- Large Dogs – 1/2 to 3/4 cup, 1x to 2x per day
- X-Large Dogs – ¾ to 1 cup 1x to 2x per day
List of Medicinal Mushrooms For Dogs and Cats
- Kign Trumpet
- Lion’s Mane
- Poriia cocs
- True Tinder Polypore
- Turkey Tail (various varieties)
Food is Medicine - Medicinal Mushroom Broth Health Benefits
- Bone and joint health
- Cancer prevention
- Central nervous system health
- Gastrointestinal health
- Heart health
- Immune system health
- Kidney health
- Liver health
- Respiratory health
- Skin health
- Urinary tract health
- For a comprehensive list of unsafe, dangerous and poisonous mushrooms dogs and cats should not consume go here.
- Editable, medicinal mushrooms are not appropriate for every dog and cat.
- Make sure you check side effects, drug interactions and health condition contradictions for your individual animal's specific situation.
- Do not force a dog or cat to ingest substances (i.e. foods, herbs) that the animal indicates he/she does not want.
Holistic Health and Wellness
- If you require additional support and guidance, contact me to discuss your requirements. I will determine the appropriate course of action for your situation, and I will provide you with a quotation for cost of services.
- I offer holistic services to clients located around the world.
Holistic Dog Training Services
- Obedience Training
- Behavior Modification
- Psychological Rehabilitation
- In-person sessions
- Phone sessions
- Skype Sessions
Holistic Diet Nutrition Wellness Services
- Unbiased advice regarding Diet, Nutrition, Wellness, Food, Supplementation, etc. - for more information go here >>.
- Holistic Diet Nutrition Wellness Plans - for more information go here >>.
Please note - I do NOT sell food or supplements. I am not aligned with any companies. I do this so that I can remain 100% objective in selecting, recommending and prescribing the best solutions for my individual clients' situation.
Article and graphics by – Karen Rosenfeld, Ottawa Valley Dog Whisperer, Holistic Dog Behaviorist, Holistic Dog and Cat Wellness Specialist