TO INTRODUCE YOUR BABY (TODDLER, CHILDREN) TO YOUR DOG


 how to introduce your baby to your dog

DO YOU LOVE AND TRUST YOUR DOG...

Has your dog ever showed any signs of anxious aggressive-reactivity? 

If the answer is no than you have nothing to worry about - you just need some help in understanding dogs a little - which I will provide you with below.


Having said that the biggest mistake people make is being nervous, anxious, fearful or expecting/anticipating problems.

I am going to give you a few articles to read. Please read them as it is critical that you understand how dogs communicate and how we unintentionally communicate to them. And below I am going to coach you on introducing your dog and baby in more detail. Also, the same methodology can and should be used when introducing your new dog to your toddler, or older children.

Here are the articles and then I will continue with an explanation below. You can either read them now or continue on and read them after - but to read them is a must!



When my daughter was a toddler strangers would criticize me for leaving her in the car with Shanny (my first German Shepherd x Malamute) while I stepped into the pizza place to pick up the pizza I had called ahead to order. Shanny would have done anything and everything she could to protect my daughter if the need ever arose. Shanny would never have harmed her - I had nurtured Shanny's balanced state of being and enabled the best attributes of a dog. I had respected her as a dog and as a non-human person. I had every reason to trust in Shanny. Not only did Shanny never let me down, but she often astonished me with her kindness, instinct, intuition and great intelligence.

myself, my daughter and my first dog

STEP ONE OF THE INTRODUCTION

When I was in the hospital, having just delivered my daughter into this world, I took one of the little hats that she wore on that first day and gave it to my Mom to take home (while I was still at the hospital) so Shanny could meet my daughter for the first time - not in actual physical presence - but instead by her scent on the little knitted hat. This is of great importance to the dog -  it should be allowed to meet the baby by scent first. (If you are introducing your new dog to children rather than baby, you can skip this step!).

Now I would have had no trepidation about my Daughter and Shanny meeting in physical presence first, but because I was still at the hospital, I wanted to send Shanny something to let her know what was going on. If you can do this first it is a wonderful way to start.

Why the nose first...well please read this to understand...


THE BIGGEST MISTAKE PEOPLE MAKE with babies, children and dogs

I end up with quite a few clients who retain me to help because their dog has become child reactive. This is so easily avoidable. So let’s make sure you don't accidentally create this situation.

How does this type of behaviour start? 

When parents are nervous of their child being around a dog, the dog learns that when children are near, people are nervous, anxious and/or fearful. Dogs look to their humans for guidance. If you're uncomfortable it tells your dog that she should be uncomfortable too. So your dog learns to associate children with tension and fear. Eventually this ongoing state of anxiety can develop into an anxious-aggressive reaction. In the absence of supportive guidance the adverse behavior is likely to be repeated and can escalate.

STEP TWO OF THE INTRODUCTION

Make sure you are not tense, stressed or anticipating reactive behaviour (what you probably think of as aggression) from your dog. 

Your dog has absolutely no reason to be aggressive - unless you create the aggression! 

To lead by example be mindful. Be grounded, have confidence in yourself and in your dog. . If your thoughts and body language are grounded and confident you are communicating to your dog that you are confident with the situation - this allows your dog to relax and normalize the experience of meeting your baby. Dogs are naturally good with children and babies.

Encourage your dog to use her noise to gently greet your baby. Over-excited greeting behaviors are not a dog's natural way to engage - it's a behavior we inadvertently create in our dogs.

RELAX AND ENJOY THIS BEAUTIFUL MEETING - by doing so you will make it what it should be.

Train yourself to control your thoughts, your emotion and direct your focus. Only then can you properly support your dog. Remember you communicate with your state-of-mind, and hence your body…not just by the words or tone you use to speak.

If your dog is to eager or pushy direct your dog to be gentle. If your dog places his paws on your baby with a little too much energy or wants to lick your baby’s face too much...

Touch your dog to get her attention and say 'no' and then say 'gentle'. Direct your dog in a grounded mindful manner - be that thing you want your dog to be. It is really simple - the energy behind what you do is everything and has an immense impact on creating a positive, normal, happy greeting and future relationship!

This meeting should be enjoyed, it should be beautiful - and not infused with stress, tension and nightmare scenarios in your mind. Remember it is the human who creates the situation good and bad!

I have had to rehabilitate many dogs who have become aggressive to children simply because the dog did not receive the guidance she needed to be comfortable. Dogs are highly intelligent, sensitive beings.


Holistic Diet, Nutrition, Wellness Services Tailored to Your Individual Dog and Cat

For information about my holistic diet, nutrition and wellness services, visit my holistic wellness services page.

Maintain good health | Address acute and chronic health issues | Pre and post surgery support and recovery

My holistic wellness services are available worldwide via video consultation.

🌎 USA | Canada | UK | Europe | Australia | New Zealand | Asia | South and Central America | Africa | UAE

📱FaceTime | Facebook | Skype | WhatsApp

To set-up your holistic wellness consultation get in-touch via email, go to my contact me page.
 
Holistic Behavioral Services for Your Dog

For information about my holistic behavioral services, visit my holistic behavioral services page.

For dogs of all ages, sizes and breeds.

My behavioral services are available worldwide via video consultation.

🌎 USA | Canada | UK | Europe | Australia | New Zealand | Asia | South and Central America | Africa | UAE

📱FaceTime | Facebook | Skype | WhatsApp

To set-up your holistic behavioral session get in-touch via email, go to my contact me page. 
 
Affiliations to Companies  
✓ None. 
✓ I don't sell food, supplements, or other products.
I'm not aligned with any companies. 
 
Article and graphics by Karen Rosenfeld.

Popular Posts