If you choose to give your dog a Kong, this Kong Stuffer recipe makes a nutritious healthy treat for your dog…
- ½ cup meat or meat grind (ground meat, organ meats and bone)
- If on a 100% raw diet, use raw meat.
- If not on a 100% raw diet, use gently cooked meat proteins.
- Meat examples -
- Poultry / fowl.
- Red meat.
- Wild-caught fish such as sardines.
- Organ meats, including fresh raw tripe.
- 1 tsp of one of the following:
- Coconut oil, ghee, hemp seed oil, pumpkin seed butter, sunflower seed butter, tahini.
- 1/4 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1/3 cup of one or the combination of the following:
- Dandelion greens
- Kale leaves
- Broccoli sprouts
- Other dark leafy green sprouts
- Cat grass sprouts
- Herb Sprouts (i.e. basil, cilantro, dill, fenugreek, parsley)
- Sunflower sprouts
- Wheat grass sprouts
- Toss all ingredients in a blender or food processor – puree.
- Stuff the Kong with the pureed treat mix.
- Place Kong in freezer.
- You can cut the above Stuffer treat recipe in half, or double, triple, quadruple the recipe to suit the size and quantity of Kong you will be filling.
- Serve frozen.
- You can also try -
- 1 tbs of raw unpasteurized natural honey
- Replace the blueberries with tart red cherries.
- You can also choose other substitutes – for ideas go here >>
- 1 tsp, up to 1 tbs – *herb or *spice appropriate for your dog’s health. For example:
Option, No Kong Required – This is My Preferred Method
- Make the recipe as per above.
- Fill ice cube trays with the resulting treat mix.
- Place in freezer and allow to freeze.
- At treat time, remove the quantity of cubes you wish to use.
- Serve frozen – do not pre-thaw.
This is my preferred option as I am NOT a fan of Kongs, and here’s why –
- Kong ingredients are:
- 80% ‘natural’ rubber.
- 20% (approximately) unknown strengtheners and fillers -unknown because the manufacturer does NOT disclose those ingredients.
- Dyes – we have no way of knowing what dyes are used in the manufacturing process as the manufacturer does not disclose this information. We also do not know if scents/ flavorings are used in the manufacturing process as an ingredient in an ingredient (i.e. an ingredient added to the rubber).
Additional Assistance – Holistic Health and Wellness
If you require additional support and guidance, contact me to discuss your requirements. I will determine the appropriate course of action for your situation, and I will provide you with a quotation for cost of services.
I offer holistic services to clients located around the world.
- Holistic Dog Training Services
- Holistic Diet Nutrition Wellness Services
- Unbiased advice regarding Diet, Nutrition, Wellness, Food, Supplementation, etc. - for more information go here>>.
- Holistic Diet Nutrition Wellness Plans - for more information go here>>.
- Please note - I do NOT sell food or supplements. I am not aligned with any companies. I do this so that I can remain 100% objective in selecting, recommending and prescribing the best solutions for my individual clients' situation.